Bob of Montreal
Thursday, July 22, 2004
 
Beer Money
In societies where we consume brand-names to say who we are, then who the brand is makes a big difference. Thus, if you
don't think the announced merger between Adolph Coors and Canada's Molson is a big deal to Canadians, think again.

Molson sells beer in Canada by showing ads of people drinking Molson and announcing, "I am Canadian". And what is the over-riding characteristic of the elbow-bending Canadians? Politeness. That's right, my fellow Americans: Molson sells its beer not on loutish hollaring and leering jiggly-chasing (tongue-in-cheek ads featuring lots of mammalian beavers aside).

A recent ad shows a midling-looking 25-year old man in a bar, next to a striking young man. The striker is snaping his fingers, trying to get the bar maid's attention amongst the din. And the midling young man turns to the camera and rhetorically asks: "Why don't I try to get the bartender's attention by snapping my fingers?" Cut to the midler's home bathroom: "Why don't I flush the toilet while my room-mate is taking a shower?" (he hands a comely room-mate a towel). Answer: "Because I am Canadian".

And here's a few other "I Am Canadian" ads.

So, I'm curuious to see what happens when a company which has branded its beer with "I am Canadian" merges with a very US-based beer company.
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger