Bob of Montreal
Friday, March 05, 2004
 
Missing Snow
From my living room, I'm watching the side of the Mont (of Mont-Royal) re-frost in brown, as the snow melts and the dead earth underneath reasserts itself. It's been covered over since I moved in Dec 13, but now, the paths are getting bare, and you can easily walk up the inclines.

After cursing the cold for many years back in Cambridge, I'm missing the snow. It's beautiful from the window, and I was never so cold this winter that I was even uncomfortable -- except for that hour I spent waiting for roadside service when my 3-day old car's battery quit on me. So what's snow done to me, that I should hate it so? It's become background decoration, and a very nice decoration it is.

Back at MIT, there was a member of the a cappella group -- the Toons -- I was in, Dee Donahue, who was from Santa Barbara, and who would gleem with winter, saying over and over how much she loved Boston more than Santa Barbara. I thought it was time to call out the white coats and big net.

Here in Montreal, the winter seemed very pleasant, even though it was one of the colder ones of the last few decades, according to the weather report. I did not miss the Pasadena winter at all -- and I mean, at all. Perhaps whether or not one likes winter just depends on how well one is guarded against it. Not living in an apartment with rattling windows, a 3rd floor walkup, no 30 minute walks regardless of the severity out there, kind of takes the edge off. Even so, the 2am saunters home from the lab with Lam would always be met by a dash of sherry before bed, and that also took the edge off -- but apparently not quite as much as it could have.

Maybe it's still time to call out white coats and big net.


Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger