Bob of Montreal
Saturday, December 20, 2003
 
Day on the Town
As I've mentioned before, one of the more remarkable characteristics of Montrealners is the enormous pride in their home town. It is marked not by chauvinistic pride (I haven't heard anyone disparage another city yet), but a genuine love of the city.

This is not remarkable because it is unbelievable -- thus far, there seems to be much to love about the city -- but because it is a universal characteristic which, combined with the friendliness of people, reminds me much of Californians before the dot.com boom.

In addition, people here dress fashionably and fastidiously -- quite a lot like Munich. I'm sitting in a Cafe'Starbucks (free Wi-Fi! and until my apartment is outfitted with a cable modem on Dec 24th, I hunker over here, just 4 blocks away, but past 4 other cafes) and it is full of fantastically dressed people. I feel like a bum in my 13-year old Lands End parka. Here's a woman in full furs, with a tall fur hat. Everyone's hair is styled and cut well.

Perhaps I'm over-romanticising. I've just arrived here, and the city and it's people still hold mystery, due in no small part to most everything being in French (and my French still being weak).

Note to self: Banks are closed on Saturdays (and Sundays of course) and are open 10:00-4:00 on weekdays, but only talk to customers until 3:00pm.
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger