Bob of Montreal
Thursday, December 25, 2003
 
Christmas Day
After the international move December 1st and, already, flying back to the Bay Area for my brother Bill's wedding Dec 11-15, I decided to stay in Montreal for Christmas and New Year's.

I missed out on my family's traditional celebration -- dinner out on Christmas Eve with the kids and grandkids (seven, now) followed by scones (by Bob) and presents at my parents. And, I'll be missing out on the New Year's Eve slide show at Wally and Elizabeth's -- I think this is the first year in 10 I've missed.

Christmas in Montreal had me waking up to warm weather (low 40's and grateful) with the snow melting off the ground and the sidewalks iceless. I got down to the Ritz-Carlton for brunch (first time I'd had venison pie), and headed out for a film, only to find the movie theater stayed close 'tiil 3pm (Christmas, don't you know). So, cafe for a few hours; and, okay, back to the Ritz for afternoon tea (I was in the neighborhood; but, it was great for tea, but I had expected more on Christmas than the usual fantastic sandwiches, cakes and scones. On the otherhand, Isabella -- who does special events for the Ritz -- had really knocked herself out for the Brunch, so perhaps an over-the-top Christmas tea would have been a bit much). Then, LORD OF THE RINGS, and MONA LISA SMILE (see 13 Dickinson St. for the non-scoop on films).

I emerged from the theaters to find the 40-degree weather hand sunk to the low 30's and it was snowing. You know, it snows here like the snow I imagined in childhood -- that is, before I got to MIT. It seems perpetual, oscillating from wet stickies to light ice flecks and busy flurries. And now, the day ends on my couch as I watch the wet stickies fill up the woods.

Tommorrow: back to the trenches, car-shopping wise.
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger