Bob of Montreal
Friday, December 19, 2003
 
Bob Moves In
Okay, so I took the more practical apartment. And I'm glad I did. It turns out that it's an easy 4 blocks from an outstanding late-nite cafe street. I walked it during the first major snowstorm in Montreal (Monday) and counted about 6 which were open. A few were only open until 11pm, but others seemed to have the late-night thing going on. They ranged from trendy to grungy -- and even included "Pi", a cafe where the chess-players hang out. I popped into Pi, and found about 12 games going actively. I've never played chess (well), and frankly, it's always seemed to me like one of those high-performance skills which requires enormous capability, which nonetheless doesn't translate into anything else useful -- perhaps like curling. I dunno, let's watch.

Back to the apartment: it's a second story, 2 bedroom/1 bath condo with balcony, working fireplace, on the edge of Jeane Mance Park, and with a great view of the park and the mountain. I'm liking the hardwood floors, but the previous tenant was into this "jungle" theme -- so I have a crown wallpaper with a repeating african safari theme. Gosh, how figuritive. So, next week, I learn how to take down wallpaper. And how to match colors on the previous paint color. I'm a 2 block walk from the nearest market, which turned out to be pretty good (I didn't check it out prior). It's about the size of Whole Foods, and has a reasonable selection of olives (VERY important -- once you've got the olives, everything else follows, like a good pair of shoes).

This weekend: the car.
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger